It can be quiet unsettling for a young school leaver to fit into their first workplace.
They want to fit in but everything about the job, the people, the expected etiquette and business culture is new and unfamiliar.
- First impressions count - make them feel welcome
- Initiate a buddy system and introduce them to other young staff
- No matter what the position give them a job description
- Formal induction/orientation training is vital
- Clearly explain everything they need to know
- Questions must be encouraged
- Mistakes will happen so regular feedback is important
- Demonstrate you support a learning culture
- Lead by your actions
- Encourage initiative, self-reliance and taking responsibility