Starting a new job can be both exciting and a little nerve-wracking.
By being organised you can get all the information you need to get started in your new workplace and make a good impression from day 1.
Some things you will need to know for your first day are:
- Work location – Where you were interviewed might not be where you’ll be working, so check where you need to go on your first day.
- Supervisor – Make sure you know who you need to talk to when you arrive on your first day.
- Hours of work – Know when you need to arrive on the first day and what hours you’ll work.
- Travel arrangements – You should work out how you’ll get to work and how long it will take.
- Dress code – Find out what you should wear. If the business has a uniform you should make arrangements to collect this.
- Facilities – Find out if the business has a kitchen or meals area and what facilities are available for you to prepare or buy your meals.
- Paperwork – You’ll generally need to fill in forms about a range of things.
- taxation and superannuation forms;
- forms providing your bank details for your pay to go into;
- you might also need to sign a contract or a confidentiality agreement
It is a good idea to ask for this paperwork in advance so you can fill it out and bring it with you on your first day. Otherwise you will need to make sure you bring all the information required with you on your first day (your tax file number, bank account details, emergency contact details, qualifications etc).
* Source Department of Employment - jobjumpstart.employment.gov.au