When employers recruit to fill a vacancy they are looking for applicants to demonstrate experience, skills and knowledge, and employability skills.
If you can demonstrate that you have these attributes, and that they are relevant to the position, then you are more likely to be successful.
It can be difficult to stand out from the crowd even if your skills and experience are highly relevant to the role. It can be even harder if you don’t yet possess all of these attributes. Here are some tips to help you to stand out from other applicants.
- Act early. Some employers hire the first applicant who meets their criteria.
- Further education and training help you get the skills and qualifications for jobs that interest you.
- If you already have qualifications, you may need to consider broadening and diversifying your skill set. Apart from providing additional skills and qualifications, training demonstrates a commitment to a particular career direction.
- Experience is valuable as it can demonstrate you already have the skills for the job, and that you are committed to work.
Demonstrate your employability skills at all stages of the recruitment process. Being on time, speaking clearly and noting the importance of teamwork at interviews are examples of ways to show your skills.
* Source - Australian Jobs 2017