By Erwin Brem (Sarina Russo Entrepreneurs Business Coach)
The fundamental objective of every business should be to get the best result they can, in the quickest and easiest way and by also spending the least possible. It makes sense, but the problem is most businesses do not look at the result they get, let alone reviewing it, with that objective in mind. They just keep doing what they do and hoping to eventually get a better result. As it has been said for many years, to keep doing the same thing and hoping for a better result, doesn't happen.
So, the idea is to work out how to get a better result, easier and quicker, and that needs to happen through a series of questions, that all too often do not get asked, because we do not like the answers!
- What do we do? Probably sounds like a strange question, but it needs asking, to get it right. Is it currently the best version, that stands out better than the rest?
- What was the result we got, and how does it compare with what we had planned (if you planned for something)?
- What went well and what didn't, and regarding what did not go well, was it because things we planned, did not happen?
- What's possible? If you took out your blue-sky-thinking cap, what would be possible if everything went the way it did? You were firing on all cylinders at 100%.
- What must you do? The absolute bare minimums to get the result you want, and you must have. Take no prisoners, accept no excuse. Just get it done!
- Who's responsible? What is everyone's role and what must they do, even if it is just you. Outlining key roles is critical to ensuring all processes in marketing, sales and service are done.
- What are the skills that need to be learnt with everyone that needs to know how to do, what they do better and more confidently. Training and skills development is often the last thing a business will spend time or money on, and yet wonder why we do not get the results we want.
- Accountability and management. How is this going to be done? Who holds the team (you) accountable, and how is it managed, and how often.
- Reward and recognition. It is not always about money (but it helps) and in general, people certainly perform better consistently, when there are recognition and reward systems in place that drive performance.
The end of the year and the start of a new year, regardless of whether you are a brand new business idea, just starting, or you have been going for years, it is the perfect and best time to review a business, performance of a team member, or results of any aspect of the business and even the product or service itself to determine whether it is even the best option, that will give you the best result, easiest and fastest.
Just ask the questions. Try it, it works!
Not 100% sure you will be able to create a startup successfully?
We offer accredited small business training that can help turn your business idea into reality. Sarina Russo Entrepreneurs (SRE), in conjunction with The Self-Employment Assistance program (previously New Business Assistance with NEIS), enables Australians to set up and run their own small business. The Self-Employment Assistance is 100% Australian Government funded.
Sarina Russo Entrepreneurs (SRE) supports candidates as they complete BSB40320 Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business. During this, candidates create a comprehensive business plan and a two-year financial cash forecast. SRE Trainers provide meaningful mentoring for the first twelve months.
Eligible candidates receive the training and support to create a viable business plan, in addition to obtaining a Certificate IV in New Small Business.
For more information, please click here.